Advanced Learner Loan
To qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan, you need to be:
- Aged 19 or over at the start of the course
- A resident in the UK for five years prior to the start of the course
- Enrolling on an eligible course at level 3 or above. See all eligible courses below.
Study your Access or Level 3+ course for FREE
If you complete your Access or eligible Level 3+ course and then go on to complete a Higher Education course, your Advanced Learner Loan will be written off. That means your Access or Level 3+ course is completely free.
If you choose not to go on to complete a Higher Education course, then the loan will work in a similar way to the current loan system for university courses. You will only start to repay the loan (plus interest) once you have completed your study or training and are earning over £21,000 a year. Repayments start in the April, following the completion of your course. Your annual repayment amount will be 9% of any income you earn over £21,000.
Here are some typical repayment examples to help you understand how it works:
- If you earned £22,000 a year, your monthly repayment would be £7.50
- If you earned £25,000 a year, your monthly repayments would be £30
- If you earned £30,000 a year, your monthly repayments would be £67.50
For more information please visit Advanced Learner Loan