The NCFE Level 2 Certificate and Diploma in Sport have
been accredited by the qualifications regulators for
England, Wales and Northern Ireland, 1 and is part of
the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF). These
qualifications may be eligible for funding. For further
guidance on funding, please contact your local funding
provider. These qualifications are suitable for use
within a Study Programme.
Aims and Objectives
- Give learners the introductory skills and knowledge to
start a career in sport of progress with employment in
- Prepare learners for higher or further education,
through full-time or part-time study.
The objectives of these qualifications are to help learners to:
- Choose a pathway and units that reflect their career
or academic aspirations
- Enter employment in the sport and active leisure
sector or to progress to higher or further education or
onto the NCFE Level 3 Sport qualifications
- Gain and develop essential skills that are valued by
employers and higher and further education institutions
- Develop knowledge and understanding of the vocational
Achieving these Qualifications
To be awarded the NCFE Level 2 Certificate or Diploma in Sport, learners are required to successfully complete a number of mandatory units and a number of optional units. Learners must choose a pathway from the following 4 options:
- Pathway 1: Sport, Exercise and Fitness
- Pathway 2: Outdoors
- Pathway 3: Working in Sport
- Pathway 4: Sports Coaching
These qualifications are designed for learners aged
pre-16 and above. There are no specific recommended
prior learning requirements for these qualifications.
However, learners may find it helpful if they’ve already
achieved a Level 1 qualification. Centres are
responsible for ensuring that these qualifications are
appropriate for the age and ability of learners. They
need to make sure that learners can fulfil the
requirements of the assessment criteria and comply with
the relevant literacy, numeracy, and health and safety
aspects of these qualifications. Learners registered on
these qualifications shouldn’t undertake another
qualification at the same level with the same or a
similar title, as duplication of learning may affect
Learners who achieve these qualifications could progress to:
- NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing
- Intermediate Apprenticeship in Exercise and Fitness
- Intermediate Apprenticeship in Activity Leadership
- NCFE Level 3 Certificate, Diploma or Extended Diploma
- NCFE Level 3 Award in Nutrition for Physical Activity
Learners can progress from a Certificate to a Diploma
but centres must carefully consider which qualification
they want to register the learner onto, as the
registration fee will be applied for both
How are they Assessed?
They will be assessed by your tutor or assessor using a
range of methods. This could include tasks such as
designing charts or leaﬂets, coursework or methods such
as oral questioning.
Do you need to be working to take the Qualification?
No, as these are knowledge only qualiﬁcation.
How long do they take to complete?
You can usually complete this in a year or less.
Which type of Job Roles can Learners Apply for on Completion?
This qualification do not qualify you to work but do
provide a starting point for deciding whether a career
in the sector is right for you.
Qualification Reference Number